Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cognizant Outreach - My first volunteering in a noble cause

Mission: To help the under privilege children through the means of education.
 
Goal: Pre-Assessment of 4th std students in English.
 
Opportunity– This pleasure has been provided to us by the Cognizant Outreach.
 
Benefits:  Internal Satisfaction, Educated Society and many more.
 
Achievement:
Everyone wants to do the social cause and make difference to the society, isn't it?
Yes, but due to various reasons we are not able to achieve it. It might be due to various reasons like the lack of motivation, time constraints and the most common and obvious reason i.e. ‘HESITATON’.


The same was the case with me. Many a times I have thought of going to a social organization, but out of hesitation I never showed an interest. One day I was sitting idle on my desk and an Outreach mail popped on my outlook. I opened the mail and read it, researched with all the events conducted by Cognizant and the blogs, which really help me get the required motivation to volunteer for one of the event. It was on Saturday, July 20th 2013.  I mailed and asked the Coordinator/ POC Rakesh, Dontha about the program. A quick response mail popped from him. He explained me in detail what activities need to be done during the event (Pre-assessment of Class 4th std students on their knowledge on English). I thought it is such an easy task and takes only 2 hrs (11.30-1.30 PM) of my free Saturday. Yes I then volunteered for the event, it was Nagu Barne School, Kalewadi Phata,Pune (not far from my residential). I was really excited about the event and has been eagerly waiting the whole week for Saturday to come.
It was a rainy season and was a little worried on how I would go if it rains heavily, but as it says how God would interrupt in such a Goodwill work. It was a bit cloudy but doesn’t rain and I reached the school on time. When I reached there I found only one person (Rakesh), and I thought its already 11.30 and only two volunteers for such a Nobel cause. Rakesh told me to wait for others to come. Then after 5-7 min people started coming and the numbers went up to 19, which is a good number to tackle a class of 50 students.
I was of a though that we would be given books and ask the children to read a given paragraph or at least write a sentence, but to my surprise when Rakesh took a sheet which has 20 alphabetical diagrammatic questions students needs to identify and answer verbally.

It created a sense of awareness in me. Then I realized how privileged and lucky I was to get an education and stand here.
Now we were handed the question sheet along with a blank A4 sheet in which correct questions of the students needs to be given. These marks will help us in assessing the students according to their level, which would help in educating the students accordingly.
Now as we entered into the 4th standard class, the students greeted us with full enthusiasm. There were all seated on the floors. Also 3rd std and the 4th standard were both seated in the same class on the two opposite direction of the class (the reason which I later discovered was the same teacher handles both the classes simultaneously).
So we started with the students, one by one. The student whom I interacted was Pramod, a cute, little Maharashtrian kid. Luckily he understands Hindi. As I began  started asking him questions and found out that he can write English alphabets (in upper as well as lower case), but when I asked him to spell out the alphabets he was able to spell only A, B, C, D, E.
But I was happy to know that they knew at least some of the Basic English words like Cat, Dog, Shoe, Garden, Boat, Van, Fish and some more. The boy was able to give 7 questions out of 20. When I finished with the questions, the boy asked me (with an innocent face) “Sir mein pass hua ya fail?” and when I said “Pramod tu pass ho gya :-) , you couldn’t believe the excitement in him. He told all the students nearby him that he was passed in the test. This was the moment of shinning/ winning faces.  For me it was such a relieving and satisfactory moment and I thanked God for giving me whatever I have and thanked Cognizant for providing me such an opportunity.
It was 1.15 PM and we still have 15 min left with us, so we went to another class room where the some of the volunteers were preparing the students for the cultural activity which were to be performed on 15th August by 7th std students.
It was 1.30 PM and the lunch time for students. Mid day meal was served to the students.
We, all the volunteers had a group photograph and promised to meet again at the same place again, next weekend.
                                                      Mission Accomplished!! J
 
Happy Helping! Happy Volunteering!!!