Thursday, June 13, 2013

13/6/2013- Blood Donation Camp (CTS)

Many a times I get messages, mails and on social networking sites about people needing blood, but I cant help them as the place might be far away or due to time, place constraints.

So I though donating blood on a regular basis would give me some satisfaction at least (almost every 3 months).

Most of the good organizations organize such events. This time it was Cognizant Technology Solutions (my employer).

It was a bright sunny day, and I was very enthusiastic from the morning itself to donate blood, as this is only my second time after being forced by my friend Aniket Patil to start donating blood. Now when I reached office I read my mails and checked the timing for the blood donation (was from 10:00 AM-5 PM). So this time I decided to encourage people to donate blood as Aniket did. I asked a lot of people, my friends, my colleagues around, but no one was interested, saying that I don't have enough blood or I have never given the blood before. But I decided if no one, I must go again and donate some blood so as to feel myself motivated/ responsible towards the people in the country.




When I reached in the camp, this time I found there were a little rush at the camp as compared to my previous donation. The camp was conducted by Sasoon Hospital (local govt. hospital of Pune).

Firstly I took up the form and filled all the medical history (mandatory for a blood donor), then I went on the counter to get tested whether I am fit to donate the blood or not. The attender picked up an half blade and pinched it into my left hand middle finger, it hurt a little. Now when he checked that I am fit to donate blood, I was more excited. Now I went to the counter where I collected the containers in which my blood would be collected, without much wait I entered into the donation room (3 beds in one room). The compounder asked me to lie down on the middle bed. Then he took my left hand and checked for my blood pressure. After he was certain by the normal behavior of my nerves he asked me to hold a soft ball and hold it tight. Now he inserted the needle on my hand in one shot. Now he asked me to pump the soft ball with my palms. As I was doing this I realized that the blood started flowing in the container. My nerves started to beat faster and within no time 350ML of my blood was in the container. I was now advised to rest on the bed for about 2-3 min. I did so and walked out of the room. Now I was asked for Tea and Parle G biscuits (as it contains Glucose which provide energy). They also gave a certificate to thank for the donation along with a slip by which you can avail one bottle of blood from the donation center for free.

''Yes I did it again'' was the feeling !!!!

Encouragement: I will try and donate blood every 3 months.

If you want to donate the blood or is in need of blood, you can visit to your nearest blood bank.

Also these days there are many social communities which would help you to provide blood in your nearest locality with minimal effort.

Please visit to http://bloodhelpers.com for more information and help on blood donation.

Feel cherished and blessed!!!!!